Sat 20 Dec 2008
Crispy Gold Potato Cakes
- 2 pounds MountainKing Butter Gold potatoes (5-6)
- 1/2 cup clarified butter (or vegetable spray)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Wash potatoes well. Place in saucepan with enough water to cover and add
1-2 teaspoons of salt to the water. Bring potatoes to a boil and simmer for
about 15-20 minutes. Test potatoes by piercing with the point of a sharp
knife. They should be slightly underdone.
2. Refrigerate the potatoes several hours or over- night. Do not skip this
3. Peel the potatoes and grate them on a coarse grater. Lightly toss the
shreds with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Coat a nonstick frying pan with a thin film of clarified butter (or
vegetable spray). Heat pan over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles
when thrown in. Spread 1/2 cup of grated potato in the pan. (You may make
one large or two or three smaller cakes, depending on what size you want the
cakes to be.)
5. Sauté cake(s) 4 to 5 min. over moderate heat, until bottom has crusted
and browned. Flip with a nonstick spatula and brown the other side.
6. Transfer cakes to a baking sheet and keep warm until all of the cakes are
Top with sour cream and chives and accompany it with thinly sliced smoked
salmon if desired.